Submissions (please read carefully)
Updated: August 18, 2020
- All potential new businesses are eligible to apply to the Dragon Event, based on the commitment that, should they win, they will operate their business within the Municipality of Meaford regardless of where they reside.
- All expansions of existing businesses are also eligible, so long as the expansion takes place within the Municipality of Meaford.
- Franchises are not eligible.
How to Apply: All Dragon Event applications forms are available for pick-up from the office at the Meaford Chamber of Commerce or can be downloaded and printed from www.meafordchamber.ca.Applications must be completed in full and received before the deadline to be eligible for consideration, and must include a 2-3 page Report describing your new or expanding business (Details provided in the Application Form below) The complete business plan will be due September 15, 2020. Additional application guidance is provided within this document.
Supplemental Documentation: In addition to the Application Form, applicants are encouraged to provide any other supporting documentation that they feel will enhance the selection committee's understanding of their business proposal and its likelihood of future success (i.e. full business plan if already made, audio/visual material, etc). The selection committee cannot guarantee the return of any submitted materials, and it is recommended that original copies of submitted materials be retained by the applicant.
Submission Deadline: All applications must be received by the Meaford Chamber of Commerce no later than September 1, 2020, at 12:00PM. A selection committee will meet after that date to select the Dragon Event contestants from the eligible applications received. This selection process will include a telephone interview.
Workshops: Before the full Business Plan submission deadline, all potential contestants (and Meaford business owners) are encouraged to take advantage of a free workshop offered by the Meaford Chamber of Commerce and our partners. This will assist you in preparing your business plan and presenting your ideas to the Dragons. The date for this workshop will be published on the Meaford Chamber of Commerce Website when it is available.
Successful Applicants: For those applicants selected to be contestants on the Dragon Event, there are additional deliverables required of them. Before the event, they will be required to provide:
- Five (5) copies of their presentation and supporting documentation to be distributed to the Dragons during the event. These must be prepared in advance by the applicants as there will not be an opportunity to make last minutes copies at the Woodford Hall prior to the event. Business pitches during the event are limited to 3 1/2 minutes maximum, followed by a 5-minute Q&A from the Dragons.
- a maximum of three (3) Power Point slide to support their on-stage presentation. These slides will be incorporated into a consolidated event slide package delivered by the event staff. Any slides, audio/visual support, and a list of props that will be used as part of the presentation MUST be received by the Chamber office by September 21, 2020 or their use will not be permitted during the event.
- All contestants must attend an event orientation and photo op prior to the main event. The photos will be used as part of the event pre-promotion and also in the programme booklet.
- All prize winners MUST start operating their business PRIOR to receiving any funding awarded during the event.
- All winners must collect funding from the Chamber no later than June 30, 2021. Monetary prizes will only be awarded in the form of a cheque.
Applicants must sign the application form acknowledging that they are accepting the terms and conditions outlined in order to be deemed eligible.